Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Windy As Hell

I woke up this morning to the wind howling and rattling my windows. It's a spectacularly clear and beautiful day, but holy god, the wind is crazy!

As part of my morning routine to prevent muscle atrophy, I went for another walk, this time up to the top of the mountain we are on.

As you can see, it was amazing up there, but I did find some more weird shit in the woods.

Check this out:

It reminds me of the fancy, old school furniture from my grandmother's house. Grandma always refers to the furniture not as the couch or the love seat, but instead uses the brand names, such as the "Davenport" or the "Chesterfield." Finding such a couch all decayed in the woods is starting to make me think there might be some spooky history on this hillside.

When i got back to the studio, I found Erick Jaskowiak, our engineer, out on the sun porch trying to decide which expensive mic would best capture the wind. It's pretty amazing what a 35 mph gust sounds like when recorded on a $2000 microphone.

We were all feeling a little fuzzy today, so we blew of some steam with a nice little old-time jam with me on tenor guitar, Erick on bass, Eric Merrill on claw hammer banjo, Brittany Haas on fiddle and Tristan Clarridge on cello.   Then it was down to business.


The tracking is going really well so far. We've got six songs done and have two more scheduled for today. I really can't wait to unleash this music on the world.

That's all for now.

No comments: