Monday, January 14, 2008

It's Only The Beginning

It's been an amazing and crazy week, but we are finally done at Allaire. We finished up Saturday night a bit after midnight. It was an incredible week and one of the coolest experiences of my life.

It's really hard to express how excited I am about this music. It's exceeded every expectation I had going into the process by miles. It really feels like we are a band now, both musically and otherwise.

Recording this way was such a bonding experience and in hindsight, I can't imagine doing it any other way. In the end, we recorded 13 songs and I am so proud of every single one. Here's a picture of all of us at the end of the night after the mics and gear were all broken down.



from left to right:

Nick Brough (our assistant engineer) , Eric Merrill(producer), Aoife O'Donovan, Erick Jaskowiak(engineer), Corey DiMario, Greg Liszt, Brittany Haas, Tristan Clarridge.

We left the studio Sunday morning and headed down to New York City. It was a really weird feeling to not be in the studio anymore. The lower east side is about as different a place as could be from the serene mountain top retreat of Allaire.

Last night we played at GlobalFEST, a one day festival showcase at Webster Hall in New York City. According to their website it is the "greatest nightclub in the world." The stage we played on had two metal poles on it that have only one purpose, as far as I can tell. This seems like the kind of place where some crazy shit went down in the 70s. Needless to say, their were no strippers during our set, but I thought Greg and Tristan might be tempted, since they were closest to them on stage.

Here's a picture, courtesy of No Depression photographer, Jacob Blickenstaff :



GlobalFEST features some of the premiere bands in the world music scene today. I don't really think of us a world music band, but I guess the term is vague enough to include us. The club had a crazy, electric energy and was completely packed. Our set was the live performance debut of the new lineup and we performed seven of the songs we just recorded, as well as a couple of Crooked Still classics, reworked of course to accommodate the new instrumentation. It was such an amazing feeling to finally play a show in this configuration.

Check out these two videos:





Playing with Tristan and Brittany feels so good and natural. The transition has been as seamless as it could be and I am so honored and thrilled at the way we've really become a band. It was a special way to start things off and I cannot wait for more!

I'm back in Vermont now and gearing up to head to Scotland to perform at Celtic Connections with fiddler/singer Lissa Schneckenburger. It's one of the most amazing festivals in the world and I can't wait to go!

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for posting my videos. I also shot "What's Wrong with You" but I didn't upload it since I thought you might really prefer that folks hear it first on the CD.

BTW, the last time I was at Webster Hall was a couple of years ago to for a Lene Lovich gig. Hmmm...Crooked Still covering "Too Tender to Touch," I think I'd buy a ticket to see and hear that.

Seriously, it was a great set Sunday night, can't wait to hear the new album.